Apologies for the blog being quiet — this is mainly due to a few deadlines coming up in the past few weeks, particularly the submission of my MSc dissertation last Monday.
This gave me just the rest of Monday and Shrove Tuesday to celebrate in the traditional way before I tried to continue my own personal tradition of the last couple of years and attempted to give up alcohol for Lent. It’s now nearing the end of day 6 and I’m going strong — the only problem is that I keep eating all the time.
On Monday, to mark finishing the MSc, I was quizmaster at my local pub’s quiz night. I did 20 picture questions, 20 normal questions and 20 music ones. If anyone who wasn’t at the pub is interested I’ll post them below and then post up the answers in a few days.
First the picture rounds.
Name the painter (click on image to expand):
Name the famous British tall building (unless otherwise stated):
Now the 20 general knowledge questions:
- Professor Brian Cox presents the science programme ‘Wonders of the Universe’ but what was the name of the pop group he played keyboards for?
- Who was the referee of Tuesday’s Chelsea v Man Utd game – criticism of whom has earned Sir Alex Ferguson an FA charge?
- The world’s most expensive painting will shortly go on show at the Tate Modern. Who painted it?
- Who was runner-up in last year’s ‘I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here’?
- What was the name of the female referee’s assistant who Andy Gray and Richard Keys were sacked for criticising?
- Next week CAMRA celebrates its birthday. How old is it?
- Which fashion house recently sacked the notorious designer John Galliano?
- The rock group Beady Eye released their first album recently. They were created after which famous other rock group’s break up?
- Which nation of cricketing minnows beat England on Saturday in the world cup last week?
- Who won best actor in this year’s Oscars?
- The M25 is London’s orbital motorway but what is the name of Manchester’s equivalent?
- What is the web browser developed by Google called?
- Which prime-minister lived at Hughenden Manor?
- Which brewery produces Tinner’s and Proper Job ales?
- A cottage pie is traditionally made out of which meat?
- What was the route number of the London bus that was bombed in the 7th July 2005 terrorist attacks?
- How old is the Queen?
- In which country is the wine growing region the Maipo Valley?
- What were the names of the two female dolls on BBC’s Play School?
- Who wrote the Angel series of novels, the titles of which include Angel, (2006), Crystal (2007), Angel Uncovered (2008), Sapphire (2009) and Paradise (2010)
The music round — this should play in Windows media player (if not other devices). Name the artist: Quiz Mar 11 3